Here we go, an early El Clasico encounter and the formal inauguration of the 2012/2013 football season. Most of the European leagues kicked off last week or some days ago, but this game is always special and it will be the first in a long series of brawls, games, fights, or whatever you want to call them.
Barcelona hosts Real Madrid for the Spanish Super Cup first leg in Camp Nou, and the game will kick off at 20:30 GMT (00:30 Dubai Time). Last year, the prize was Barcelona’s to grab and brag, and the highlight of both games was the eye poking incident between Mourinho and Vilanova. The difference this year is that Vilanova has become head coach of Barcelona, and Mourinho has to find a new assistant coach to torture.
Jose Mourinho eye poking Tito Vilanova, while Borat was watching unimpressed.
Here are some thoughts, if they mean anything:
- Alex Song may play his first game with Barcelona; another Arsenal player to start his Barca life in a Super Cup after Fabregas last year.
- Pepe will miss the game to the relief of Barcelona players and disappointment of wrestling fans.
- If Barca wins the cup, it would be the first time in history to see a club winning it four times in a row.
- Mourinho doesn’t need the cup if that means he will win the league, or at least that’s what he said.
- The two teams played their first encounters in the league, while Barcelona won big, Real Madrid suffered to earn a home draw. Preparations of Real Madrid indicate they are not at their best, yet.
- Messi is the all-time scorer of the Super Cup with 8 goals. He already scored 2 official goals this season and this game is a chance to start his mission of breaking the astounding 73 goal tally of last season.
- A probable lineup for both teams would be:
Barcelona: Valdes – Alves, Pique, Mascherano, Alba – Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta – Alexis, Messi, Pedro
Real Madrid: Casillas – Marcelo, Arbeloa, Ramos, Albiol – Ozil, Coentrao, Alonso, Lass – Ronaldo, Benzema
Only an insane futuristic Nostradamus-eque person can predict the score of such an encounter.
The first El Clasico of the 2012-2013 season, and more to come